Class Collision: Fall From Grace discussion questions
Genre: Fiction, YA Fiction, Historical Fiction, American Drama
- Does David’s personality change as the story progresses, or just his behavior?
- How did you feel about the Bastien family’s relationships between David and Alex, and the children and their parents?
- Do you think a parent who favors one child over another is aware of it?
- What role did Clifford play in David’s life? Was he more influential than David’s parents?
- In the book, the boys are kidnapped. If this were an actual event, would one brother really sacrifice his chance of escape for the other?
- What does Elizabeth see when she looks at a person? How does this prevent her from recognizing her own son?
- Why does David feel the need to lie about his age when he reaches Lowman?
- Gordon is well liked in the town of Lowman. Are most people unaware of his temper?
- How did you feel about the abuse Linda endured?
- Do you think child abuse was common at this time in American history?
- Have attitudes concerning families, parenting, and children changed in the past one hundred years? In what ways?
- What obstacles prevent David from discussing his family with Linda?
- Why doesn’t David go home?
- Do you think David would have become the same person had he never been kidnapped?
- Do hardships make people better or bitter?
- At the end of the book, David manipulates Linda into an elopement. How did that make you feel? Do you think Linda make the right decision?
- Is someone important to society more valuable than an obscure person living in poverty?